Under the Gun
“There is no one like the God of Jerusalem,
who rides on the heavens to help you,
and on the clouds in his majesty. Deuteronomy 33:2
Is this a season in your life when you are continuously under the gun? When prayer seems to go unanswered, are you guilty of trying to place the blame on someone else? If your answer is a positive one, then here are a few suggestions for you to prayerfully consider:
- Ask God to show you His plans for you; not just to bless your plans.
- Let your ultimate purpose in all you do be to glorify God; beware of pride that lurks beneath feigned humility. “God opposes the proud…” (James 4:6)
- Bear in mind: Divine guidance supersedes all human wisdom. “For those who find me find life and receive favor from the Lord.” (Prov.8:35)
- Make it a daily practice to study and apply His written word in your life. “Consult God’s instruction and the testimony of warning.” (Isaiah 8:20)
- Seek counsel from those who believe in you and share your values. “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” (Prov. 27:17)
- Gather your facts before you act – but don’t ever under-estimate God.
- God plans the seasons of our lives – if it is not His timing, then just wait! “There is a time for everything…” (Ecc.3:1)
Our predominant mode of response, however, is frequently the rational and the intellectual. If we make this our only mode of operation, it makes it difficult to fine-tune in to hear what the Spirit of God is saying to us. Then as we develop the “ears to hear” God can transform us at the deeper depths of our being to accomplish the tasks He has assigned to us.
(a) Simply put down the gun! Focus on what is at hand. Now you can enjoy whatever you are doing – whether it be a grand assignment or a menial task. In the process, allow yourself to be creative to the maximum.
(b) Forget tomorrow’s challenges, persevere with all your heart and all your strength in today’s assignment. You will see your productivity increase as you accomplish much more. (Deuteronomy 33:25)
(c) Finally, if you don’t know the direction to take, pray to the Father, He loves to help. “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God… and it will be given to you. (James 1:5)
Enjoy being out from under the gun.
Enjoy this post?
Download, print, or save this article.