Learning to Think Like Christ
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.
Do what it says. James 1: 22
Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep
a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their
religion is worthless. James 1:26
As we consider the common ground we all share today, I will be correct in saying that it is the desire to be like Jesus. I am convinced that the key to living as Christ wants us to live is in THINKING and ACTING as He did while He walked the dusty streets of Judea. That is why I am committed more and more to (1) Evangelism and (2) Prayer. Because these are building blocks designed to help us THINK and ACT in relation to the goal we share.
As we persevere toward our goal of becoming like Jesus, we must first THINK biblically. That will affect our ACTIONS and our BEHAVIOR. In other words, Our ACTIONS must be consistent with our biblical convictions.
1) James cautions us to be DOERS of the word and not merely HEARERS alone. The Christian life therefore includes Christ-like THINKING plus Christ like ACTING.
2) James also reminds us that FAITH minus ACTIONS equals death. Therefore, the faith you and I hold in our hearts, must always be matched by our ACTIONS in our daily living.
So that means:
The goals or objectives we share for our lives, must = Living life like Christ. For the world is observing us from all around, whether here at home, or by terrorist overseas.
Christianity is not a matter of a book – BUT a life! – That is YOUR life and MINE.
- Do we pray for the salvation of the hoodlums trying to harm us?
- Do we pray for the heathen in our neighborhood?
The power of Christianity is not a CREED, but Christian CHARACTER. It is whenever someone (be it a spouse or a sibling or a parent) sees a life that has been transformed by the grace of God, that they see a real Christian. This is when Christlikeness is demonstrated.
Let us determine to think biblically and as we do; we will SAY and BE the actions of:
- Christ’s LOVE
- Christ’s COMPASSION
- Christ’s STANDARDS
- Christ’s CORRECTION
- Christ’s TRUTHFULNESS
- Christ’s TRANSPARENCY
to other people around us. That will truly be Christ-like ACTIONS and BEHAVIOR. Consider:
- What is the key to effective living?
- Where does that kind of living begin?
- What should be my objective each day?
Enjoy this post?
Download, print, or save this article.